Monday 24 August 2020

NATURALISTIC IKEBANA

Stachyurus praexis and Green Goddess lilies


Hello all,
My materials this week are best suited to naturalistic arrangements, hence the title of this post.

The wall arrangement, below, had daffodils in its first incarnation. When the daffodils died I replaced them with these white hellebores. Hellebores are generally difficult to use in arrangements because of their shy, downcast attitude. However, in a wall arrangement to be viewed from below, they are ideal. Except that I forgot that the young flowers droop very quickly. So, then, I had to replace them with a new cultivar, called 'Cinnamon Snow', which are still upright three days later.









I've been admiring the various wattle trees in the surrounding streets and, with another bunch of free daffodils from our florist, I gave in to temptation and went to cut some. The variety that's growing by the side of the road, thus easy to cut, is a particularly thorny one. I believe it's called 'Acacia paradoxa'. I had to go home and return with heavy duty leather gloves to cut and arrange the stems.

Acacia Paradoxa and daffodils.
'Colours in a similar tonal range'

Later, I was more careful in my choice of wattle. I picked one that was less savage. Unfortunately, I don't know its name. The black container with its yellow interior seemed an obvious choice. As I wanted to feature  the opening of the container, I avoided filling it with flowers flowers and, instead, used this aspidistra leaf with its gorgeous colours.


Below is a photograph of my Magnolia Soulangeana. I can enjoy this view from my kitchen, family room and ikebana room. Just in front and to the right of the magnolia is a mature Japanese Maple that's just starting to bring out leaf buds. I love this time of anticipation.



So, of course, I had to make some arrangements featuring magnolia.

Magnolia soulangeana, stachyurus praexis, hellebores and 
hyacinths


With alstroemeria psittacina leaves

With arum lilies



With spirea cantoniensis


My Japanese flowering quince is finally living up to its name and, actually, flowering! Year after year I get frustrated seeing it flowering in other people's gardens but not in mine.


Before I finish, I'd like to thank those of you who wrote to me with suggestions of possible names for my red camelia. I looked up the three different suggestions, which were 'The Czar', 'Gunsmoke' and 'Blood of China'. However, it's difficult to judge colour from photographs. The closest seems to be 'The Czar'. Whatever its name, it's a winner!


Bye for now,
Emily














































No comments:

Post a Comment