Monday 31 August 2020

31st August, 2020

 


Hello all,

Since I focussed on naturalistic arrangements last week, it seems natural to, now, focus on modern. Camellias are mostly used naturalistically, however, by stripping subordinate stems and leaves and placing them in this vertical, copse-like fashion, they create a modern look. The stainless steel container adds to the desired effect.

In the arrangement, blow, I used curved arum lilies and their leaves, which I folded and pinned to create an interesting shape but, also, to take away their naturalistic appearance. The container, again, was chosen deliberately to add to the modern look. It also fits the theme 'Paying attention to the shape of the container'.


As you all know by now, I manipulate quite a few of the plants in my garden to create interesting shapes. Sometimes, however, I go too far and end up breaking them. Case in point, the cordyline in the arrangement, below. I bent it too far and it broke. On its own it can be quite dull, so I removed the leaves from the right side of the stem and curled the remaining leaves on the left. The daffodils were, again from our florist who had put them out on a table but, this time, they were asking for donations for 'Daffodil Day'. Judging by the amount of money in the jar, many people were happy to donate.And we ended up with pretty flowers. In my case, I don't grow daffodils in my garden because I always thought them too difficult to use. Now that I'm a convert, I will plant some next year.

The simplicity of this next arrangement, belies the difficulty in keeping the strong gymea lily leaf (Dorianthes palmeri) in the desired position. The mass is made with flowers from a small tree growing on the road, the name of which I've not been able to find out. I've included a photograph showing the three stages of the flowers in the hope that someone might recognise it and let me know. I'd be most grateful.





The three different mechanics used to 
keep the leaf in place
                                                       
My crucifix orchids have grown and spread over a number of pots. It's such a big mass that I can't see the original pots. They seem to be drawing the nutrition they need from the masses of aerial roots. As I was foliar feeding them, I noticed the curve of this stem with one of the few flowers on it. The aspidistra leaf was sitting in the bucket  slowly changing colour. The container is just a piece of glass with two holes in it. It was the base of a television set we bought years ago. I place a shallow plastic dish underneath for water and a kenzan.
                                                                                     

The thick bent wire in the arrangement, below, is one of two pieces I keep in the garage and I use when I  want to spray colour some material. I push them into the lawn and place my branches or leaves on top and, then, proceed to spray. This particular piece had an interesting bend, to which I added more bends, I was looking for an appropriate foil for my rather long stemmed hyacinths and this wire came to mind. The only down side is that it is quite heavy requiring care in the choice of container.


I leave you with this wall arrangement using curculigo leaves and daffodils.


Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment