Monday 10 August 2020

Hello all,

Wondering around the monstera deliciosa patch, I noticed a number of elements of this versatile plant which I could use in ikebana. It was an opportunity to indulge in a mini workshop.

 In the above arrangement, I used two fresh leaves just starting to unfurl. They sat neatly into the corner of the container without the need for kenzan. The pink anthurium is one I grew in my dining room and am particularly proud of.

24 hours later, I was greeted by this sad, droopy sight. Well, you know what they say about life giving lemons? I rescued the one leaf that was still useable and made  a new arrangement. The anthurium was too pale so I used the cymbidium orchid with its stronger colour for contrast. The vase was an easy choice as it related so well to the leaf.






The next two are self explanatory. In the first, I used half a leaf with some umbrella grass stems and two arum lilies. In the second, I used a flower bud with a couple of agave pieces.

Later on, the flowers of this plant will develop into large fruit, which taste like fruit salad, Sadly, in our garden, the local fauna, led by the possums, don't leave any for us to eat.

Last week I posted photos off my bamboo and explained my experiment to prevent it from cracking. I'm happy to say that the bamboo is still in one piece hanging on the wall. I replaced the camellias with loquat branches, clivias and cineraria. Gail, a reader of this blog, wrote to me about a problem she had when using a piece of fresh bamboo as a container. She said that it turned mouldy. Because of the small opening of my bamboo, I cannot see inside, however, as a precaution, I added a teaspoonful of bleach. I hope that does the trick

Rummaging through the storeroom, I rediscovered these old containers that have not seen the light of day for many years. Out they came for me to play with. The umbrella grass stems and hellebores were in the bucket in the ikebana room, challenging me to use them.


Bye for now, 

Emily











No comments:

Post a Comment