Monday 17 August 2020


 

Arum lilies and stachyurus praecox in a self made ceramic container

With the luxury of time, due to the lockdown and an overabundance of umbrella grass.I've been able to experiment with ideas I've had going round in my head for some time. It's one of my favourite materials because it lends itself to geometric shapes, which I'm drawn to. Anyway, I had this idea of a 'stalactite - stalagmite' type of arrangement and was keeping it for an exhibition. But, with no exhibitions in the foreseeable future, I will, instead, share it with you, my readers. Also, having struggled with this technique already, I hope I will do a better job of it when I use it in an exhibition.

My first attempt was very pleasing to me but it frustrated me in the extreme when I tried to photograph it. Below are two different views. I followed the shape of the triangular suiban using two of the three walls. However, in the two-dimensional medium of photography, the space between the two walls is lost, as the lines of one blend into the lines of the other.


So, rethink! I moved the structure I created into a curved container instead. I added the cymbidium orchid behind it. The white background is ideal to showcase the lines clearly.



I, then, went on to my second idea of a type of weave. I took care not to make the weave too even to avoid what Mr Kawana calls 'crafty'.  As for my kamo honnami camellia, I can't praise it enough. It has been producing its stunning blooms since mid April and there are still plenty of buds yet to open.



My contorted hazel (corylus avellana 'Contortica') is at it absolute best. This shrub is very slow growing so I use it sparingly. 

Wall arrangement - Contorted hazel and daffodils

I acquired the daffodils that I have used in this week's arrangements in an unusual way. Our local florist, which is closed, like all other non-essential businesses, had placed outside their door a trestle table and on it was a hand sanitizer and a bucket full of bunches of daffodils. There was also a sign inviting people to help themselves to a bunch. What a lovely gesture during these trying times!


New Zealand flax and daffodil 

Sometimes, nature has done her job so well that all that's required of us is to provide a vase in which to display her work.

My second favourite camellia, name unknown

Bye for now,
Emily

























1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Lovely to see the arrangements as usual.. and the little description and experience share.
    That Camellia you used, i think it's "GunSmoke" variety with double petals and prominent yellow stamen.

    Keep Safe. Looking forward to the next one :)

    ReplyDelete