Monday 29 June 2020




Hello all,

When it comes to materials for ikebana, I feel truly blessed. I have a large and prolific garden, which I have developed over the last 29 years but I, also, have generous people in my life who provide me with materials I don't have.

Case in point, at our last lesson my student, Mary brought me a bunch of the most vibrant blue iris as a congratulatory gift for the sale of my sculpture. I should point out here that, Mary, an art teacher, has been very supportive and encouraging of my venture into sculpture.

Vicky also arrived with freshly cut kiwi vine and the two materials simply had to be put together. I've used kiwi vine before but not very often with the leaves still attached. I, particularly, liked the way the light from the window shone through the leaves. Unfortunately, the leaves were very short lived and had to be removed. I then had to build up the vine to the left for balance. And below is the result.



More kiwi vine and stock
My prunus mume is in full bloom and I used it to decorate the big table in the dining room for mum's birthday party. I realize I committed an ikebana faux pas by using fragrant material at the lunch table but I couldn't resist using these delightful blossoms.


I have been patiently waiting for my hydrangea quercifolia to change colour so I could use it. It's taken its time probably because it grows in deep shade under the giant philodendron leaves. I used this resin container for its colour and the equisetum for the lines as well as the colour. The very early clivia flowers added the brightness needed with all that brown.



The photograph, below, is of my garrya elliptica tree, which is in full bloom. This slow growing, small tree alternates between good years and bad. This year is a good one and the tree is full of catkins. They look like tassles hanging down.


I made the next arrangement with garrya elliptica and some oriental lilies, which were part of a floral offering to mum for her birthday. I should point out that the large branch is angled forward, which is lost in the picture. The catkins will continue to grow in the vase as long as I keep topping up the water. I usually have to remove quite a few of the leaves to allow the catkins to drape down freely. The ceramic container is self made.



I gave some branches to Vicky and Lucy and received a photograph from Vicky of her arrangement.


Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment