Monday 8 June 2020



























Hello all,

Above are two views of the same arrangement, using aspidistra leaves and nandina domestica berries. I made a number of arrangements using aspidistra leaves after removing a large clump that was growing in the wrong place. It had originally been planted in the shade, however, when our weeping willow fell, the shade it provided to the aspidistra was gone.

After giving away a number of the plants to others to grow, I used what was left to play with. It's always a great opportunity to workshop material of which there is a great abundance. And this was just such an opportunity. Below are some more arrangements. In the first one I stripped the wider part of the aspidistra leaves, creating a curtain like effect. Flowers are almost non existent in my garden at the moment, so I used oranges and a small sprig of white lisianthus. I must admit that the first time I saw this stripping technique, I was blown away.


Aspidistra is an extremely useful plant in ikebana as it is very strong. So much so, that in Japanese books it is referred to as 'Cast Iron Plant'. One of its many properties is that it can survive out of water.

Aspidistra and Begonia coccinea

Green and yellowing aspidistra leaves with
crucifix orchids
Aspidistra leaves and aeonium in a vase with
openings on both sides

























Bent and cut aspidistra leaves and nandina domestica nana

In the next arrangement I used two green and one yellow leaf. Initially, I thought I should use a flower but I remembered Kawana Sensei's words in such a situation, when he referred to it as 'Just decoration'. So, I left out the flower.


And, before I exit the aspidistra section of this post, I wanted to share with you a photo of the flowers of this amazing plant. In all the years I have been growing it, I never saw its flowers. And now I know why. They are quite small (about 2cm in diameter) and grow at the base of the stems, just above the rhizomes. In my garden they are always covered with mulch.

To the right is the purple and white flower and to the left is a
white bud.
I have six large pots of strawberries which need attention this time of year. The old plants are removed, new potting mix replaces the old and the new runners are planted. This ensures a good crop later on, much to my grandchildren's delight. This year I noticed that the leaves had a glorious autumn colour, so I cut some for an arrangement.

Stawberry pots
Strawberry leaves and runner plus
hydrangea
Bye for now,
Emily


2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I didn't know aspidistra had flowers! Thanks so much for that info and the photo of the flowers. Aspidistra leaves are one of my favorite materials to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had a great surprise to find aspidistra flowers when I was digging some out!

    ReplyDelete