Monday 15 June 2020

Hello all,
The branch material in the above arrangement is Rhus, the sap of which is highly toxic. I have been admiring this particular small tree in my sister's neighbourhood during autumn, when it turned a brilliant red colour. More recently, I noticed that, where the leaves had fallen off, the spikes were still on the tree and, they too, were a brilliant red. I was so taken with them that I asked the owners if I could cut some for ikebana. Lisa and her husband, very generously, allowed me to cut as much as I needed. I've never used this material before and I'm most grateful to them for the opportunity. Unfortunately, my photograph doesn't do justice to the colour. It should be a much brighter red.

And now for some exciting news - my sculpture, 'Symbiosis', has sold! In fact it was the first in the exhibition to sell. The buyer is a gentleman in Brisbane, who said that he has just the spot for in front of his newly built home. He has promised to send me a photograph when it is installed in its position.

When I first got the news of the sale, I was, quite understandably, delighted and did a little happy dance. But then I was faced with the task of finding a courier that would transport the 48 kilo sculpture at a reasonable price. The initial quotes were astronomical and I was beginning to despair but, by the end of the week, and many phone calls later, a company was found and the whole thing has been set in motion. Now, to plan another one.

My very clever brother in law, Peter, assisted by his equally clever wife, Vicky, made two containers for each of us sisters. It was such a delightful surprise when they were delivered.

Slate tops with plastic underneath and a kenzan glued inside.

So, I put the girls to the task of making arrangements in time for this blog.

Below are Vicky's arrangements.

Kiwi vine and anthurium
Kiwi vine, aspidistra leaf and camellia bud
Lucy's are next.

Equisetum and begonias
Equisetum and jonquils
























And here are mine.

Camellia - Brushfield Yellow, a treasured gift from my friend, Merryl
Contorted hazel, which broke accidentally, and roses. Unfortunately we don't
see the curving forward of the branch
And while we're talking about making our own containers, I made one too. This is something I've been wanting to do fo a long time but didn't have the tools - until now. I managed, with Sam's help, to cut a hole in this marble tile. Then I put a small plastic bottle at the back and used wire to hang the whole thing on the wall.

Sprayed contorted hazel and camellias

In last week's blog I included the following photo:


I've, since, had two inquiries as to how I balanced the stem of aspidistra. I inserted a piece of wire into a fleshy stem, which was in a kenzan. I, then, made a small indentation in the leaf stem, having worked out the centre of gravity and rested the leaf on the wire, as per photo.


Yesterday I pruned back, quite heavily, my diosma and noticed some interesting shapes in some of the stems.


Diosma and crucifix orchid
Diosma and the first strelitzia reginae

























I leave you with this little arrangement.

Beefsteak begonia leaves and rose
Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment