Monday 5 August 2019


Hello all,

I have mentioned before that my ikebana is mostly opportunistic. I come across materials which have potential and I go from there. Case in point is the arrangement, above. I was looking through my monstera deliciosa patch for just the right shaped leaf, when I came across this flower, which, of course, had to be cut and arranged. It's a very thick and heavy flower with a short stem presenting some limitations. The container I used is semicircular with an opening of about 2 cm, making it ideal for wedging the stem tightly. I then had to consider which accompanying material to use. After discounting other possibilities, I settled on the agave. Its strength balanced with the strength of the flower and its sculptural shape added depth and interest.



And here's another such arrangement, above. These dear little white flowers (Leucojum) are a delightful surprise because, when I planted them, I thought they were something else entirely. They are just the right size for this much prized container, which was given to me by my daughter and son-in-law.

During our recent exhibition, of which I have spoken before, my sister-in-law Toula gave the demonstration, assisted by our other sister-in-law Betty. Toula made a number of interesting and varied arrangements, three of which I have included here. The rest can be found on our blog at Sogetsu Ikebana Victoria. You will also be able to see the arrangements of the second part of the exhibition.

Toula (left) and Betty 

New Zealand flax and jonquils. Toula used two
containers intertwined


Dried Strelitzia nicolai leaf and stelitzia reginae flower

























A service was held yesterday for Hiroshima Peace day at St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne. It is a tradition now for members of Ikebana International to create arrangements for this service. I volunteered to do the Sogetsu arrangement and Chieko Yazaki head of the Shogetsudokoryu school assisted by students made a much larger arrangement.

Below is my arrangement in front of the speaker's lecturn. I used a large, flexible pipe, which I have attached to a board, as my container and created contrast by using bamboo triangles sprayed white. I finished it off with New Zealand flax and a mass of arum lilies. Unfortunately it is very difficult to photograph the arrangements with such a busy background.


Chieko created a large, naturalistic arrangement with a gorgeous black pine branch, Japanese quince and assorted flowers. This was placed in front of the pulpit.


I leave you with this rather cheeky arrangement. I made it using the loquat branch that was in my exhibition piece but, which was still quite fresh and I added the crucifix orchids. There is no kenzan in the container. The branch and flowers are wedged into the bottom, which comes to a sharp point.

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment