Monday 12 August 2019

Hello all,

You may recognize the arrangement, above, as the one I included in my last post and which was placed in front of the speaker's lectern at St Paul's Cathedral last week. My original photograph was taken in situ, where the background was so busy that it was hard to see the arrangement clearly. We had a large family luncheon here yesterday and a number of people, who had seen my blog and then saw the arrangement at home, commented on how different it looked, prompting me to photograph it again against a blank background.

As is always the case when I'm entertaining, I fill the house with ikebana arrangements. Yesterday's lunch was no exception. Below are some of them.




The branch in the above arrangement came from an indoor ficus plant (I think microcarpa), which had become too big and I had planted into a large pot and kept outside. It wan't a particularly good plant and I wanted the ceramic pot in which it was planted, so I decided to get rid of it. But, not before I cut its beautifully curving branch (about 1 metre long) and made this arrangement. I struggled with appropriate accompanying material and settled on the oranges because none of the available flowers worked. The less visible material is a variegated euphorbia.


My magnolia soulangiana is at her absolute best at the moment - just before the flowers are fully open. The simplicity of the arrangement is deceptive because the branch had to be secured in the vase diagonally to maximize the feeling of movement. I attached a stick to the bottom of the magnolia stem using two screws because, if I had used only one would, it would swivel. The appendage was attached in such a way as to wedge against the vase at its widest point, making it very secure.



For the tables where guests would be eating I made a number of glass arrangements using kiwi vine, courtesy of Vicky. This was left over from a large number of kiwi vines that she had brought for the class to workshop. More on that later. I chose to make low, glass arrangements so that they may not obstruct the guests' view of each other.
Glass container, kiwi vine and bromeliad flowers
With lisianthus



This was my arrangement for the class workshop of kiwi vine
Bye for now,
Emily



































No comments:

Post a Comment