Tuesday 23 July 2019

Hello all,
Our recent Ikabana International workshop was conducted by Chieko Yazaki (above), head of the Shogetsudokoryu school. We were to workshop the very versatile aspidistra leaves. Chieko demonstrated a number of ways of manipulating the leaves to create different looks.

In her arrangement, above, Chieko used wire attached to the back of the leaves using surgical tape, then, when she bent the leaves, they created a wavy shape. Please go to Melbourne Ikebana for more photographs.

Lucy used umbrella grass stems on which she attached the
horizontal aspidistra leaves using a pin, which allowed
for movement
Lucy's arrangement, above, was inspired by the Alexander Calder exhibition, currently on at the NGV.


In my arrangement, above, I wanted to feature the stripes on the variegated leaves, so I folded them around the stem of the anthurium. One of the properties that make these leaves so versatile is their ability to survive without water. Today, ten days later, it still looks fresh. The container is a rather interesting glass decanter.

For our last class I set a combined theme of 'Glass Containers' and 'With Leaves Only'. Below is one of my arrangements. In the large demijohn I placed the leaves of Japanese iris and added another, smaller glass bowl semi-submerged with a variegated aspidistra leaf curled inside. It's a pity this is not a video so you could see the movement of the smaller bowl.




Jenny used a curly leaf, which is unfamiliar
to me with variegated New Zealand flax
Lucy used a partially split aspidistra leaf, which
she placed half in and half out of the vase. She
added a round, red begonia leaf around the
mouth of the vase



























Vicky used a large flat bowl in which she placed curled up agapanthus leaves and
one, very strong gymea leaf
Shaneen's lesson was 'Mass and Line':

Shaneen used chrysanthemums and pampas grass

In preparation for my exhibition piece, I had tried a number of different leaves. Those that were not used could not be discarded, so I used them in the two arrangements, below.

The leaves are from my strelitzia nicolai, which I cut into these
geometric shapes and added the arum lilies.



To my left over loquat branches I added arum lilies and nandina
domestica berries in this tall stainless steel vase
Bye for now,
Emily






















No comments:

Post a Comment