Monday 22 May 2023

22nd May, 2023

 


Hello all,

The Sogetsu workshop last week was presented by Lara Telford who set the theme 'Ikebana Incorporating Wood'. We were to avoid using branch material but, rather, driftwood, old, weathered wood etc.

Mine is the arrangement, above. There are two pieces of weathered wood joined together, resting on the ceramic container I found the larger of the two pieces in a ditch, covered with mud in the early days of my ikebana journey. It was at a time when I had little in the way of materials and containers, so, I was ecstatic at finding this piece. I took it home and cleaned it, then, after it dried, I sprayed it with a clear, mat spray to protect it. I used some of my pomegranates, two of which had split open revealing the jewel-like seeds. To the back I added hydrangeas in their autumnal colours. The large board adds a certain formality to the arrangement. 

Lucy's arrangement, below, was made up of a thick stump cut vertically and the two halves placed on a board. She emphasised the 'chasm' between the two pieces by placing a camellia through it, with its stem in a small, round vase at the other end.

For photographs of arrangements by Lara and the other members, please click on Sogetsu Victoria and then on Recent Workshops.


For class last week the senior students were to make an autumnal arrangement in a tsubo vase. I always make an arrangement of the theme I set for the class. I like to show them an example but, also, I need to keep practicing and challenging myself.

In my arrangement, below, the method that I used for fixing the magnolia branches was 'Yoko-ichimonji-dome' (Horizontal single-bar fixture). I used orange and yellow chrysanthemums and a stem of amaranthus'


Nicole used crepe myrtle and viburnum opulus branches, which she split and fitted into each other. She finished the arrangement with hydrangeas.


Cym borrowed my tsubo vase made of stone (I think it's travertine) and used viburnum plicatum tomentosum branches, chrysanthemums and pomegranates.


Lucy used a tsubo vase in a vibrant blue colour, which contrasted well with the warm, autumnal colours of the persimmon branches and the orange chrysanthemums. She added a third element towards the back with the Japanese anemone seed heads.


Mary's lesson was from Book 5 - 'Jumonji-dome' (Cross bar fixture). She used viburnum opulus branches and disbud chrysanthemums in a ceramic vase.


Dianne's lesson was 'Colour of the Container'. She used a ceramic suiban in a bricky-red colour which was picked up by the flower buds of the Laurustinus branches. The pink kaffir lily (Schizostylis Plant) also had a reddish colour in the centre of each flower. Dianne based her arrangement, loosely on Variation No. 4 - slanting style.


Lei's lesson was 'Focusing on the uses of Water' She used fatsia leaves trimmed and three hydrangeas. She kept the arrangement low and hovering over the suiban container, bringing the focus onto the water.


Wendy' lesson was 'A variety of materials'. This is a challenging exercise, often looking crowded or messy. Not so with Wendy's arrangement. She kept to a pastel palette and created both space and movement with curved materials. I don't know the name of the dry material but the others were Dutch iris, snapdragons, chrysanthemums and salvias. She used pebbles to cover the kenzan.


Bye for now,

Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment