Monday 17 October 2022

Weekend Workshops

 


Hello all,

First and foremost, an announcement:

The Ikebana International Melbourne Committee is pleased to present our first Online Exhibition. 

This is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnsuFmXNDjE

On Saturday I attended an Ikebana International workshop run by Naomi Cullen, Head of Ichio school of Ikebana. The theme she chose was 'Ikebana Using Vegetables'. She demonstrated three arrangements using vegetables as well as other plant materials. 

In the Sogetsu curriculum we have a lesson 'Fruit and Vegetables' and, as a Sogetsu teacher, I felt I had to keep to the teachings of our school. I made the arrangement, above, using fruit and vegetables. I had fun injecting a bit of whimsy using this quirky, resin container.

On Sunday I conducted a workshop at The Bulleen Art and Garden Centre. It was attended by a group of interested and engaged ladies. I demonstrated the Basic Upright Moribana arrangement, the very first lesson in the Sogetsu curriculum. I provided materials, kenzans and containers for the participants to, then, make their own arrangement. I always enjoy introducing ikebana to people who know nothing about it and am often pleasantly surprised at how well they do on their very first try. 

I took along three different arrangements as a very small sample of the vast array of styles in Sogetsu ikebana.

Miniatures seem to have a universal appeal.

I confess, I make a version of this arrangement in my self made container almost every spring.

I reworked this large arrangement by replacing the green goddess lilies in the original
version with snow ball flowers (viburnum opulus)


Mary's curriculum lesson was 'Disassembling and rearranging the material'. She used arum lilies, removing the spathe (the leaf-like curved bract) from each and massing them in the larger opening of this triangular container. She then placed the stems with the spadix on the opposite opening.


Mary did not take her arrangement home, as she usually does because the spathes would have died quickly since they could not reach the water. Looking at it in my studio, I realised that the dead flowers in the garden, which I would have to remove and discard, could be another resource once the spathes were removed. So, using Mary's original idea I extended it to the arrangement, below.


I've been playing around with simplified arrangements. This next one started with this translucent, resin container I bought recently. When I brought it into my studio, I noticed the green goddess lily in 'the bucket' almost calling to me. Usually simplified arrangements are small but this is an example of a large one.


Then I challenged myself to create a simplified arrangement from a large, ceder branch (Cedrus deodara) with one cone on it. I removed all but one tuft of needles and the cone and placed the stem in a stainless steel container.

And last but not least, it can't be spring without a wisteria arrangement. My wisteria has been disappointing to date, with very few flowers. This year she has produced a few more and, if she continues this way, she might be allowed to live.

Wisteria and rhododendron in self made container

Bye for now,

Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment