Monday 3 October 2022

IKEBANA FOR GIFT GIVING



Hello all,

Last Monday I ran a workshop for our Sogetsu group, the theme of which was 'Ikebana for Gift Giving'. In this exercise the primary focus was on fixings or mechanics, which will allow for the arrangement to be safely transported. I demonstrated 4 different techniques for securing the materials and had as an example the arrangement, above. The container was designed as a candle holder but, because there was enough room for water at the bottom, I used it for ikebana.

I give ikebana arrangements as gifts to most friends on special occasions or when visiting. Over the years I developed some techniques to help secure the materials making it possible to transport them.

The photo, below, shows an arrangement in a tsubo vase. I used a cross fixture, which I wired together at the meeting point of the two sticks. I then wired onto the sticks the sprayed, magnolia branch. The cross fixture divided the opening into 4 segments, I placed all the flowers and leaves into one segment at the back. This served to create some space on the side of the container as well as making a tight fit. I, also, wired the first two lilies onto each other and then onto the cross fixture. The rest of the lilies wedged in and stayed in place. After replacing the lilies for fresh ones, this arrangement ended up at my friend Erica's place. I knew the drama of the black and white would appeal to her.


The next arrangement is obviously a Christmas one but, by removing the baubles on the side, can be given for Luna New Year. We have Chinese neighbours on all three sides, for whom I like to make festive looking arrangements. Red and gold seem to be auspicious colours. I placed a vertical stick with side shoots at the top, which I cut to fit tightly into my vase. The side shoots divided the space into segments and, by placing all of the material in one segment, they stayed securely. If I had used the vertical fixture with a split, as we are instructed in our books, the movement of the car could easily dislodge it.

Mahonia, Rhododendron, Night flowering jasmine berries and baubles

In the next arrangement, I used another stick with side shoots cut to wedge tightly, this time at the bottom of the container. The top of the stick extended beyond the vase and I was able to wire my materials onto it and, then, cut off the excess.

Sprayed contorted hazel (Corylus avellana 'Contorta'), pine and anthuriums

In my spring arrangement, below, I used florists' foam, which is the easiest was to secure the materials. Some care needs to be taken, however, not to pierce it too many times by putting materials in and out. I suggested to the group to bring a kenzan on which they could practice the placement of materials before committing them to the florists' foam. It is, also, important to cut the foam slightly larger than the container, so that it will wedge in tightly. It is, also, very important to conceal the florists' foam. In this case I used baby tears (Soleirolia soleirolii).

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum, rhododendron and baby tears


Christopher has, yet again, posted photographs from the workshop and you can see them by clicking on Sogetsu Victoria, then click on Recent Workshops.

Dianne's Vertical Arrangement (first lesson in Book 3) was made with prunus branches in bud and camellias in a delightful, ceramic container.



Mary's arrangement was 'With Flowers Only'. She used lisianthus, cottage gladioli and Singapore orchids in a ceramic suiban.


I've been watching the large orchid in the next arrangement very carefully, not to let the pesky slugs get to it. And, when I finally cut it, I wanted to show it at its best. Cymbidium orchids have the tendency to look downwards, so placing it high in this wall arrangement means that it can be seen from the best vantage point. There is, also, a darker, smaller orchid stem to the back. The stems of the Cornus Siberica alba still have some maroon colouring, which is a delightful contrast to the lime green, new leaves and which is picked up by the orchids.


Bye for now,
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment