Monday 26 April 2021

26th April, 2021

 

Hello all,

Last week's class theme was and arrangement in a basket using five or more materials. In my example, above, I used six materials. The most important element in this type of arrangement is lightness. This can be achieved by choosing predominantly materials with small leaves or flowers and one or two larger materials as focal points. It's quite challenging to make an arrangement with so many materials that does not end up looking western.

Maren's basket, an anniversary present from Graham, is quite exquisite and the material's she used complemented it beautifully.


Nicole declared that this is her favourite type of arrangement and she, certainly, did it justice,


Vicky, as she often does, went for height, using the nandina domestica to create a type of umbrella over the rest of the materials.


Shaneen, who is still following the curriculum, coincidentally, also had as a theme 'A Variety of materials'. She made a delicate arrangement in a rather rustic, metal container.


Lei has finished Book 3 and is doing revision. Her lesson was ka-bu-wa-ke (moribana). In this arrangement two kenzans are used in one container, paying particular attention to the space between the two groups (kabu).


I've been cutting back my wisteria quite hard, giving me plenty of material to play with. I've used this vine in so many different ways over the years but I never tire of it.

The first arrangement is in a very large and heavy vase. I photographed it without water because I would not have been able to lift it to place on its pedestal if I had filled it first. I did that in situ. It took nearly two watering cans full of water.

The arrangement lasted several weeks, though I did have to replace the water. And I did that by syphoning it into a large bucket. When I got tired of it, I removed the wisteria and re-used it in this op shop bought container.


And just one more.


I leave you with my first camelia arrangement of the season. My much prized kamo-hon-ami.


Bye for now,
Emily





No comments:

Post a Comment