Monday 16 November 2020

16th November, 2020


Agave, crucifix orchids and alstroemeria
psittacina leaves


r

Hello all,

Last Saturday, 11th November, apart from being Remembrance Day, it was also the 20th anniversary of my father's passing. My sisters, mother and I went to the cemetery with flowers and various accoutrements including the wheat dish (koliva) made at memorial services in the Greek tradition. It was a quiet, peaceful time relating favourite stories about dad and his mother, who is buried with him.

As we were leaving, we came across a large clump of agave that had been butchered by vandals. It looked like someone took a machete and hacked at it. Vicky was able to exercise restraint and did not take any pieces. Lucy and I, however, couldn't resist, despite having no gloves and took some home.

I was drawn to the partially dried piece for its colour and shape. At home, I first had to find the right height vase so that it would balance comfortably. I settled on this split vase for its height and colour as well as the two splits that allowed me to wire the agave onto the vase, otherwise, the whole thing would have toppled over. I had intended to use a mass of some floral material in the centre of the agave but, when I looked closely at the interesting pattern that had been created by the drying process, I felt I should make that the focus. So, then, I needed material with thin stems to fit through the tiny opening. Enter crucifix orchids, which provided the line and colour. The alstroemeria psittacina leaves created the mass as well as concealing the wires.

Closeup of wiring of agave to container
Closeup of centre of agave


















And, of course, when have you known me to stop at one arrangement? I don't often have the luxury of cutting the heart of the agave because that would stop the growth of the plant. In this case, however, I was just rescuing. I unfurled the soft green inner leaves and exerted some effort to create the arrangement, below. I managed to get a very fragile equilibrium, long enough to photograph, then I took it apart because I know that as the agave dries it shrinks and loses its balance. I had visions of the whole thing coming down. I made two new arrangements with the material.


Here's a little tip. The agave pieces in the arrangement on the left are too soft and weak to hold their weight, so I reinforced them by inserting a dowel as far down as it would go and it worked a treat.

The arrangement on the right could address two different exercises - Glass Containers and Fresh and unconventional material.


These next arrangements were made by Lucy.

Agave and aeonium in ceramic container

Agave and geraniums in ceramic container

























My evergreen dogwood (Cornus capitata) or Hazel's dogwood as I call it, has finally flowered. I'm usually careful not to cut big pieces of plants that are slow growing, such as the dogwoods. However, our neighbour at the back cuts anything that even peakes over the fence, so I cut this piece before he did. I made a variation no. 6 horizontal style nageire and, I have to confess, I had to double check the angles. Covid has a lot ot answer for.

Cornus capitata and roses - Queen Elizabeth
   
Wall arrangement - cornus capitata and hippeastrum 

And another material that had to be rescued, not from the neighbour but from possums, was the bunch of tomarilos. I would have liked to have cut them with a stem but I would have had to sacrifice flowers further down the stem, so I didn't. I did the best I could without the benefit of a stem. And, when I no longer need them for ikebana, I can hand them to Sam, who absolutely loves them.

Iceberg roses and tomarilos. They look a lot
like died easter eggs.

I leave you with this cheeky little arrangement of my only two ornithogalums in the container made by brother-in-law, Peter.


Bye for now,
Emily








No comments:

Post a Comment