Monday 2 November 2020

2nd November, 2020

 

Horizontal arrangement. Portugal laurel (Prunus lusitanica) and Altissimo roses

Hello all,

I had planted some years go the Portugal laurel to screen off our rather large air conditioning units on the southern part of the house. I am greatly indebted to the nurseryman who had suggested this tree for my needs. It has successfully screened the ugly units but it has also done so much more. The glossy dark leaves, which resemble camellias, are quite useful in ikebana. But, even more useful are the inflorescences, which grow above the stems and have a delicate perfume. And, as if that was not enough, they turn into reddish berries in autumn. I understand it is also useful as a hedging plant. Love it!

I cut off a rather large branch at the top of the tree to stop it from getting too tall and, of course, I couldn't throw it away. When I removed the superfluous stems I was left with this bowl shaped piece. I thought it was perfect for my large, fluted glass bowl, which normally sits on the buffet in my bedroom. This bowl is quite heavy and very delicate. It is, also, much prized because it was a gift from my daughter. I couldn't risk carrying it down the stairs, so decided to make the arrangement in the bedroom. Something I don't normally do. I must admit, though, I like the arrangement in the bedroom and will make more in the future.



I went down the street the other day to collect fallen pine needles to put around our strawberry plants and I noticed a whole lot of weeds, which had all gone to seed. With plentiful rain and a lax council, which did not clear the weeds along the road, they were looking very robust and quite beautiful. It reminded me of a lesson we used to do with our teacher, Carlene, of using a variety of grasses. Nostalgia kicked in and I attempted an arrangement. 

I know, from past experience, that grasses shrivel up and dry very quickly after they are cut, even with the use of alcohol, so I dug them up by the roots. This is a good way to preserve them longer but it becomes almost impossible to insert them in a kenzan. I chose this container for its colour and shape but, also, for the size of the opening. I wanted to be able to wedge in my material to make it stand upright.

It's a challenging exercise and I have to wonder if the resulting arrangement was worth the considerable effort. I tried to create interest by using the different textures and shapes of the grasses but, the lack of colour and the loss of depth in the photograph can result in an almost amorphous mass of green.

Unsatisfied as I was, I took it apart and made a couple of smaller arrangements with fewer materials.


Grasses with chive flowers
Grasses with Portugal laurel flowers


Close up of one of the seed heads

Another material that is worth its weight in gold is the snow ball tree (Viburnum opulus). After using it whilst the flowers were green and small, then, later when they were big and snow white, now I find the inflorescences  that remain after the flowers have fallen have a charm all their own. And in autumn the whole tree will colour beautifully. A must have for any ikebanist.


A simple mass and line arrangement. Viburnum 
opulus and squiggly grass, which, I must point out 
leans forward.
 

Close up of inflorescence












Cymbidium orchids, as beautiful as they are, are not easy to use. They have a very rigid stem and shape that can't be manipulated. Arrangements have to be designed around the orchid, where as we normally create a design and add the flower to complete it. I manged to save this one stem from those pesky snails and slugs.


Cymbidium orchid, dietes leaves and black cane


In a suiban without a kenzan. 
Curculigo flowers and leaves.

I leave you with this little arrangement featuring my second peony flower for the year. This is from a herbaceous plant that I've had for years and which flowered parsimoniously! We recently had tradesmen in to install some agi pipes to control excessive water on the north part of the garden. Unbeknownst to me, they dug right through the peony clump and dumped the rhizomes to the side. I don't have the words to describe how I felt. So, when one of those discarded rhizomes flowered, it was almost as though it was trying to placate me.

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment