Monday 27 July 2020

COMPOSITIONS IN BLACK AND WHITE

Hello all,

It was not a conscious decision to make two arrangements in black and white. It was only after I had completed them that I realised there was a common thread. Of course, it was the materials that dictated how they were to be arranged. Although there is an abundance of white flowers, in nature there are few black materials. So, when I found these shiny, black berries, I, instinctively, gravitated towards the black and white container. The old, sprayed magnolia branch practically called out to me. Then, the Kamo Hon Ami camellia was a no brainer.



The above arrangement started with the arum lilies that are just beginning to flower. The container is in two pieces - the black is a solid piece of wood and the white a rectangular, ceramic container. Placing the black piece over the white diagonally gave me two entrance points for the flowers and allowed me to bring the flower heads close together. The clusters of small flowers are from a tree that's growing by the road.

By sheer coincidence, Vicky was also in a black and white mood. Just like me, it was her material that was the starting point of her arrangements. She has a magnificent, white magnolia, which flowers for such a short time that she tries to get as many arrangements from it as possible before it drops its petals.




In this case, Vicky used jonquils and a wisteria vine -
Mass and Line

























In the above, wall arrangement, I used more of the black berries, which I picked from a plant that looks like dracena but I'm not sure. Google was no help. If anyone knows what they are, I would be very grateful if you could let me know. The 'container' is, actually, a piece of art, a much prized gift from Lucy in my early days of ikebana.

I dropped off some groceries to my aunty and uncle when I noticed their Japanese, flowering quince in full bloom. Mine doesn't even have a hint of flowers yes. So I begged a piece and teamed it with camellias. For me, this is a match made in heaven.



Ikebana without flowers
Bye for now,
Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment