Monday 9 March 2020


























Hello all,
The photographs, above, are three views of my latest project. I named this sculpture 'Symbiosis' and it's made of rusted steel and aluminium. I've been itching to do something like this for some time and last year I invested a considerable amount of money to have my sculpture fabricated.

I applied to have my piece exhibited at the ASV MIFGS Sculpture Exhibition at the end of this month and, I'm happy to say, it was accepted. I would like it to sell but I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't because I like the way it looks nestled in the grass in our back yard. So, if you're going to the show, you may want to look out for it.

And whilst I'm on the subject of MIFGS, Ikebana International will, again, be exhibiting inside the Exhibition Building. I will, also, be exhibiting in the Shop Window Competition, as I have done for many years now.

For class last week I had set the theme from Book 4 lesson 5 'A Variety of Materials' (Maze-Zashi). This is not the same as the traditional grasses arrangement. In fact the instructions in the book recommend using mainly flowers. This is difficult to do because in order to harmonise, one needs to find at least five different flowers  in compatible colours but also size. I find that using materials with small leaves or flowers and adding one or two lager ones as a focal point works best. Those were my instructions to the students.

In my first arrangement I used five different materials in a cubic shaped ceramic container. I selected mainly materials with subdued colours allowing the red berries to pop.


In my second arrangement I went a bit modern, starting with the asymmetric, lacquered container with its bright red interior and black exterior. The arrangement is quite tall and I've used eight different materials. Again, I kept the colours mainly in the green hues with the accent provided by the crucifix orchids and hawthorn berries.


Below are photos of the students'work.

Nicole McDonald
Bredenia Raquel
Vicky Kalokathis


























Jenny Loo
Lucy Papas


The photo, above, is of my Night Blooming Jasmine (Centrum nocturnum), which I have growing in our front garden. It is quite extraordinary that during daylight hours there is not a hint of fragrance. However, as soon as it gets dark, the heady scent from this plant is so strong that it permeates all through the garden. I used a couple of sprigs in my arrangement and it behaved the same as a cut flower, indoors, as it does outdoors.  It's also very easy to grow and I highly recommend it.

Something else that is growing very well and is in full bloom right now is the amaranthus. This is also extremely easy to grow. In fact, all of my plants have self sown.

In the garden

And in my wall arrangement.

I'm hoping some one will be able to help me with my equisetum (horsetail). It is finally growing beautifully in a pot, as you can see. However, when I cut it to use it in my ikebana, it dries up and shrivels straight away. Is there some way to treat it so that it may last longer? Please email me if you can help. I would be most grateful.


Bye for now,
Emily



















No comments:

Post a Comment