Monday, 5 October 2026

5TH OCTOBER, 2026

 


Hello all,

For the arrangement, above, I used an oval, glass piece, which has two small holes in it. It was the base of a flat screen TV. I placed a plastic container underneath to hold water for the materials - agave and leek flower.

Variegated NZ flax and strelitzia reginae are the materials in the arrangement, below.


In the next arrangement I used a container with a small opening, so I chose materials with thin stems like the crucifix orchids and the taro leaves. I also used small, sunflower seed heads.


The stainless steel container in the next arrangement was given to me by a former student, Margaret Wilson. I think of her and her generosity every time I use it. The materials are a gymea lily leaf, crucifix orchids and leafless wattle (acacia aphylla).

A spring arrangement evokes a sense of joyful renewal and awakening of nature after winter. The materials are white lilac and pink rhododendron and are much prized because both plants were given to us by my parents.


For the next arrangement I had bent the Louisiana iris plant whilst growing in its pot so that the flowers would grow facing upwards. I, then, was able to place the stem horizontally in the container. I also used some unknown, grass seed heads.


In the wall arrangement, below, I used dried palm frond and agapanthus.


Many years ago I developed a technique to join umbrella grass stems, vertically to create surfaces. I can, then, bend them to make sculptural pieces. In the arrangement, below, I added the strelitzia reginae in the space created by the structure.


When I made the arrangement, below, I, obviously, had an abundance of green goddess lilies to have been able to select 10 flowers of similar size. I'm sure you all know by now my love of geometry, hence the design. 


This next arrangement is very ME. The strong forms of the gymea leaves and the strelitzias, both of which I grew, contrasted with the softness of the wisteria lines. That appeals to me, strongly. Add to that the fact that I made the container and it becomes very personal.


Bye for now,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment