Monday 23 September 2024

MASTERCLASS #25

 


Hello all,

For the Masterclass on Saturday, I provided each of the students with a large  mahonia branch and a container. The flowers, however, were different for each student.

I usually challenge myself at each such lesson by, also, making an arrangement with the same theme as the rest of the class. In this case I did not have time to make it before class, so I did it when the students had left. Mine is the arrangement, above. 

Below is the mahonia branch in its original state. I removed more than half of the foliage and stems. The students were given similar branches and, they too, had to trim a great deal to reveal the beauty of the stems.



Lei's dramatic arrangement, below, comprised of the stem and one leaf of her mahonia branch. She massed the arum lilies, with one bud following the line of the stem.


Jenny got out of her comfort zone and turned her branch up-side-down over the spherical container. She, then, lifted the leaves and caught them in a balloon shape, exposing the inflorescence 'skirt'. I had provided her with camellias but she felt and I agreed, that they were not necessary.




Vicky trimmed all the leaves from the right side of the branch, leaving only the left side ones and making the arrangement look windswept. Peaking through the leaves were two rhododendron flowers.


Cym's mahonia branch was considerably smaller than the rest, so her arrangement was smaller. She trimmed the leaves, revealing the stems and then caught them in two, opposing bunches. The single clivia added colour and contrast.



Lucy, also, had to trim heavily to expose the angles of the stem. The large, ceramic container has a rather small opening but Lucy was a able to work out the mechanics required to hold the stem upright. Such a strong arrangement required equally strong flowers and, I believe, the red rhododendrons fit the bill perfectly.


Students are only required to bring their cutters to Masterclass, as I provide everything else. This time, however, I instructed them to also bring a pair of sturdy gloves because the mahonia is extremely prickly. 

I have to admit that I am particularly proud of the work that these girls have produced. With each month they seem to be going from strength to strength.

Bye for now,

Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment