Monday 2 October 2023

RHODODENDRONS

 


Hello all,

I say this every year but it bears repeating - spring in Melbourne is GLORIOUS! There are so many trees and shrubs flowering as well as annuals and perennials  coming up that I'm practically tripping over myself in an effort to cut and arrange them before they are past their best.

In the arrangement, above, I used the spokes of an old umbrella and rhododendron flowers from a plant that was a gift from my parents many years ago.

And, speaking of rhododendrons, the arrangement, below, required no other material than the vividly pink rhododendron. Sometimes natures just hands us a gift. Such is the case with this long, curved stem of the rhododendron.


And, here it is in a wall arrangement, with nandina domestica flower heads and a rather large piece of Siberian dogwood stem, which I had trained to create the curves. I had used the dogwood in a previous arrangement - to the right


Another 'gift' from nature. The viburnum plicatum tomentosum branch, below, has a curve that was created by some obstruction as it was growing. The natural habit of this shub is for its branches to grow horizontally. Teamed with the red rhododendron and the vivid blue of the container, it makes a striking arrangement.



Side view
Another combination of viburnum plicatum tomentosum and rhododendron. In this case, the branch had an upright curve, hence the upright placement.

Side view


There are many other interesting materials, if one looks closely. The new growth on one of my hydrangeas has these rather unusual curved tips. I cut three of them, below.


I then trimmed them and prepared them for the narrow container by pushing wires through their lower stems.


I finished the arrangement with the addition of a single, curved, arum lily.



My magnolia liliflora nigra produced only a handful of flowers and I couldn't resist cutting them and placing them in a container. I couldn't decide which view I preferred, so I've included both. Sadly, they only lasted for a day but it was worth the effort as they are so lovely.





Side view.

Bye for now,
Emily











No comments:

Post a Comment