Monday 12 December 2022

12th December, 2022

 


Hello all,

Our last class was the final for the year when, usually, we make a Christmas arrangement. This year I set the same theme with a slight variation. A Christmas table arrangement.

The photograph, above is of my arrangement, which I made a few days before class. Unfortunately, the hippeastrums did not last until class, so, I replaced them with the only flowers available in my garden - Queen Elizabeth roses. It makes an interesting colour combination - the pink flowers in a red suiban.

The rest of the materials are pine (pinus radiata), ornithogalum flowers , and palm inflorescence sprayed silver.The strands of silver are mizuhiki.

Jenny used asparagus fern, geranium, lacecap hydrangea, red mizuhiki and Christmas baubles in a twisted, cylindrical container. 



Bredenia used sprayed corky elm branches, altissimo roses and gold and silver mizuhiki.

Nicole used sprayed pear branches, cyprus, roses and Christmas baubles in a ceramic suiban.



Vicky went all modern with umbrella grass, anthuriums, and baubles - shiny and mat black ones and just one white. The container is a glass trough.

Lucy, who is very busy with the building of hers and her partner's new home, came to class without any materials. I told her to go into the garden and help herself but, before she could do that, the other students contributed enough materials for her to create the arrangement, below. The pine was from my 'bucket', the hydrangea quercifolia from Shaneen, the altissimo roses from Vicky and Lucy, herself, provided the sprayed, dried strelitzia leaves.

Mary's class theme was 'Dried, Bleached or Coloured Materials'. She used dried garlic flowers and dried aspidistra leaves in an Ikenobo style container. The fresh material is philadelphus flowers and pinellia tripartita leves.


Before I sign off, I need to make a correction. In my previous post Vicky and I used a material, which was wrongly identified by my Leaf Snap App. It called it Carex acutiformis. However, a much better informed reader of mine, Debra Collett, wrote and told me that it is in fact from the small grass tree,  Xanthorrhoea minor https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/taxa/560378-Xanthorrhoea-minor. Thank you Deb!



Bye for now,
Emily











No comments:

Post a Comment