Monday 3 January 2022

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

 


Hello all,

And a very happy new year to each and every one of us. 2022 has just got to be an improvement on the last two!

My New Year's arrangement, above, is quite traditional and naturalistic, however, it is in a modern, lacquered suiban. I would not, ordinarily, mix the different styles but I wanted a large suiban and I like the bright red of the inside of the container. I used a number of materials - the obligatory pine, roses, hydrangeas, calla lilies, dill flowers and a pinellia pedatisecta leaf. And, of course, a spray of mizuhiki, in this case, multicoloured.

Below is an arrangement using one leek and one garlic flower. They are almost the same. The metal container is a recent op shop purchase and the leaf is pinellia pedatisecta, commonly known as green dragon.


Below is a closeup of the leaf which grows in a unique way. It creates a spiral from which the leaves extend outwards. The second photo is of the stem, which is considerable in length and has these interesting colourations. The bulbs for these herbaceous plants were given to me by my colleague, Lara Telford and it took some effort, mostly on Lucy's part, to find out its name.




I was given a lovely bunch of flowers at Christmas comprising of cellocias, delphiniums and gypsophila. I made two arrangements - one I featured in last week's post, using the cellocias and gypsophila with pine in a table arrangement.


And the second, using the delphiniums and some of my hydrangeas in a heavy, ceramic container.


We, also, received a lovely bunch of Singapore orchids from our daughter and her family for a recent wedding anniversary. These orchids are not easy to use in ikebana but I was prepared to rise to the challenge.  Because the individual flowers tend to droop downwards, I put them in this narrow, glass vase where I could coax them to look up as they wedged against the glass. The coloured, wisteria vine was necessary to create both space and line.


The second arrangement gave me a lot more trouble. Firstly to get the three stems of pine to sit upright when they were not long enough to reach the kenzan, necessitating other mechanics, including wiring. And, secondly, trying to photograph it. I lost count of how many photos I took. This is the best of a bad bunch. The container is ceramic with a twisted wisteria handle.


I leave you with two arrangements I did just for fun.

Left over pine with an interesting stem and Asiatic lily

Distorted calla lily and leaves.

Bye for now,
Emily





No comments:

Post a Comment