Monday 1 February 2021

1st February, 2021

 

An arrangement using 5 different materials - persimmons, cumquats, hydrangeas, crocosmias, and bamboo
in ceramic container

Hello all,

Well, it's February already and we've had some unpredictable weather - from extreme heat to quite cool and very wet. Sam and I had worked very hard to protect our plants from the heat by covering as many as possible with old sheets, moving pots into shade and watering until the water tanks were empty. So, it was with great relief that we welcomed the rain. And boy did it rain! The water tanks are full again, which, for me, is like having the pantry full.

When I delivered some food to my elderly uncle and aunty the other day, I discovered that they had growing on their nature strip three book leaf pines (Thuja Orientalis). These must have been planted by them years ago, as there are no others in the street. I can't believe I hadn't noticed them before. So, of course, I helped myself to some 'leaves'.

In the arrangement, below I wanted to emphasise the lines at the base. I trimmed all side shoots leaving the lines clean.

Thuja Orientalis and tiger lily (Lilium Lancifolium)
in ceramic container

The calla lilies are well past their best and the flower heads had to be removed, otherwise, left to drop, they will self seed and I didn't want any more plants. It's quite interesting that the stems of the flowers become very weak and bendy as they age and I wanted to take advantage of this by creating beautiful curves.

Using only one kind of material
Calla lilies in ceramic container. 

Calla lily stems and agapanthus in ceramic container

Still on the subject of calla lilies, one clump has distinctively long and narrow leaves, which, together with the speckled effect are quit beautiful and I use them in their natural state. However, I also like to change their appearance by twisting and pinning into place, creating a more modern look. The photographs, below, show the leaf before and after twisting and then two arrangements using the leaves, whose appearance I have changed.




My crucifix orchids have had a bumper season. I had to wait a few years to get flowers but, now that they have started, they are quite prolific and very useful in ikebana. Their thin, long stems are perfect for creating line in an arrangement and they are quite long lasting. They also add vibrant colour.


Crucifix orchid and squiggly grass in stainless steel container.

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment