Monday 14 December 2020

14th December, 2020

 

Dried and sprayed daisy bush, pine, hydrangeas,
Jacobean lilies and crochet bell

Hello all,

Last week we had our first and only meeting of Ikebana International since Covid and, even though there were a number of restrictions, we all enjoyed seeing each other and catching up. Our theme was to make a celebratory arrangement and the photograph, above, is of mine. I call it 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas'.

My colleague, Lara Telford, gave me some bulbs earlier in the year of a plant that she was sure I would like. She did not know its name, so I was not able to look it up. I planted them and waited. Imagine my delight when this unusual but stunning leaf came up. I took a photograph of it and sent it to Lucy to see if she could find it on the internet and, of course, she did. It's called Pinellia Pedatisecta.


Side view of arrangement.

My strelitzia reginae had flowered profusely and had quite a number of spent flowers, which needed removing. However, once I removed the dried petals, what was left was the 'beak' part of the flower with a strange little growth at the back, resembling a bird's crest.



Strelitzia reginae, fine cane structure in glass container
























These two strelitzias are of the double headed variety.
teaming nicely with the cumquats and both of them
contrasting with the blue of the vase

The next two arrangements were done by Vicky. She and her husband, Peter, were entertaining and the house was decked out beautifully with Christmas decorations as well as Ikebana arrangements. I was particularly taken by these two and asked her to send me photographs to share with you.

Agapanthus galore!



Anthurium leaf and flowers

I suspect some of you would be wondering what the white material in this next arrangement is. They are the petals from the giant bird of paradise, strelitzia nicolai. After the flower is cut from the plant, some of the petals will continue to come out. However, there are many that remain inside the 'beak' part of the flower and eventually rot. When I took down my last week's arrangements featuring these flowers, I scooped out the remaining petals and used them as a mass. The crucifix orchids provided the colour and line.



I was issued an invitation by Taruna Agarwal, the II president of Mumbai Chapter to view a Zoom demonstration by Andy Djati Utomo of the Ikenobo school. She kindly told me to share this invitation with whomever I please. So, here are the details.

Zoom Link

 

Ikebana International Mumbai chapter
presents
Ikebana Demonstration of Ikenobo School, Japan by Andy Djati Utomo from Indonesia

Time: Dec 17, 2020
02:00 PM India
03:30 PM Indonesia
04:30 PM Singapore
05:30 PM Japan


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81775104732?pwd=VVZ0Z0YyYkxod1JkbDFVc05wUHRMQT09
Meeting ID: 817 7510 4732
Passcode: ikenobo
Live on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ikebanainternationalmumbaichapter/ 

 I leave you with this Christmas wall arrangement.


Bye for now,

Emily












No comments:

Post a Comment