Monday 3 February 2020



Viburnum opulus branches and dahlias in ceramic container 
Hello all,
It's been a week of serious gardening and a start on much neglected pruning. This, of course, has provided ample material for ikebana. The arrangement, above is one example. The one below, is another.

Conifer and hydrangea
And I wasn't the only one puning. As I was returning from picking up grandchildren from school this afternoon, I came across council workers cutting a Corymbia ficifolia and putting the branches into a chipper. I had to hurry if I was going to rescue some branches but I had the two grandkids to worry about. I couldn't leave them in the car but it was dangerous to take them near all that machinery. So we agreed that they would stand across the road where I could watch them and they would be safe. The men were very helpful, cutting the few branches that still had flowers on them and handing them to me. I must say though, I found it amusing the way one of them insisted on helping me not to fall over the logs.

I love the way this material has buds, flowers and seed pods all at the same time on the branches. It makes it unnecessary to use any other material with it.


The gloriosa lilies are flowering their little hearts off. The only problem is the shortness of the stem of each individual flower. If I were to cut a longer stems I would have to sacrifice new buds and I'm loathe to do so. Hence my use of massing them. In the arrangement below, I used two triangular containers. In one I massed the lilies and in the other, I put a stem of hydrangea, which had fallen to the ground and created this interesting curve. It gives the impression that the hydrangea is 'speaking' to the lilies.


And below is another arrangements with massed lilies. Here I used a square container, on which I placed a slab of granite which has a rectangular hole in the centre of it. For height I used one New Zealand flax leaf and a stem of my neighbours' Port St Johns creeper. It's hard to guage from the photograph but the arrangement is quite tall, measuring 1.25 metres in height.



In this next arrangement, the squiggly stem of this succulent (probably Purple aeonium) has been in this container for many months. I just haven't had the heart to throw it out. So I added a larger flower to make a new arrangement. I know this will continue to live equally as long and will produce roots where it reaches the water..




I noticed something quite interesting this year, which I attribute to the unusual weather we've been having. Sam and I have always put water out for the birds. We have a bird bath, which we wash out regularly and put fresh water daily. This summer, I noticed a great number of honey bees all around the perimeter of the bowl all day long. This makes it difficult to change the water because it risks drowning them . In fact, I often have to rescue some that happen to fall in the water. By coincidence last Saturday, I was listening to a discussion on the radio with an apiarist, who said that the bees collect water and carry it to the hive to cool it down.

I've become more and more fond of bees and would get a bee hive in a heart beat if it wasn't for the grandchildren being afraid of them.

If you look at the photo, below, very closely, you will see the bees on the perimeter of the bird bath, which is old with a rough surface. This is an advantage because the bees can find purchase as they reach down to the water.


And so the saga of the nectarine tree continues. Those of you who read last week's post will remember that our broken nectarine tree had produced a new shoot, creating much joy for the family. And you will, also, remember that we had put a protective barrier so that our lawn mower man would not mow over it. Well, it beggars belief that he removed the barrier and mowed over the precious shoot anyway! He was lucky that we didn't see what he had done until after he left. I'm not sure either one of us would have been able to control our tempers and remain civil. As it is, by the time he comes back, we will have, hopefully calmed down somewhat.

We put the barrier back over what's left of the stump believing that if one shoot had grown, there's a chance that another will. Fingers crossed!

And one more thing. I intended to mention this last week but forgot. I want to thank those of you who wrote to me with comments of empathy for our Lexie. I realise my story would have brought back memories of the loss of a beloved pet for many of you. It is comforting to share such memories.

Bye for now,
Emily


1 comment:

  1. I like that succulent arrangement and if the materials grow roots…well I just wouldn’t be able to get rid of them:) Sorry to read about the saga of the nectarine tree and the lawn mower. You will have to let us know if it sends up a new shoot. Thanks for the bee story and picture.

    ReplyDelete