Monday 16 December 2019

Hello all,

Well, as the big day approaches we are all caught up in a flurry of activity. Ordinarily, I would have the house decorated to withing an inch of its life. Not so this year. Apart from the wreath on the front door, I did very little else. My reasoning was that, since I'm not hosting Christmas this year, I need not go to too much trouble. But, if I'm honest with myself, that's not the reason. I just don't have the Christmas spirit. There, I've said it. I had this distinct feeling of "Bah Humbug". But I'm forcing myself to snap out of it.

I went to my sister, Vicky's house on Friday for our usual family dinner and was thoroughly put to shame by the gorgeous and abundant decorations, lights and Christmas flower arrangements. I resolved to do better. Thank you Vicky for the inspiration.

So, on Saturday and Sunday I spent a bit of time making Christmas arrangements. The piece of pine in the wall arrangement, below, has quite a beautiful shape, which is lost in the two-dimensional medium of the photograph.You'll just have to take my word for it.


Alstroemeria psittacina flowers and leaves and sprayed
strelitzia leaves in glass vase

Jacobean lily and umbrella grass

























Despite my lack of enthusiasm over Christmas, I always have time for the grandchildren. It's a relatively new tradition but one I intend to keep, that is helping them to make Christmas cards for their teachers as well as others. So far, it's only the two older ones who take part in this activity but I intend to make sure that the other two will join in when they're old enough.

In preparation I bought blank cards and envelopes and brought from my sewing room all sorts of beads, sequins, buttons, ribbons and trims and, with copious amounts of glue, we all went to town being creative. I think I enjoyed this even more than the children did.



Hermione with one of her cards
Xavier with one of his cards




















Driving along somewhat unfamiliar roads last week, I came across some wild artichokes growing along the side of the road like weeds. In fact, I thought at first they were thistle but Sam tells me he thinks they are artichokes. Whatever they are, they are beautiful, albeit deadly. The thorns that grow on the leaves can be as long as 3 centermetres and extremely sharp. In order to cut the flowers I used two cloths I had in the car, which were not enough to protect my hands. At home I used the thickest gloves I could find and handled them with great care.

The thorns which grow only along the leaves but  not on the stalks

I made the arrangement, below using only the artichokes in this large, self-made container.


And then, after I came back from Vicky's I went into the store room and found the angel to put with it to make it a bit more Christmassy.


Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment