Monday 7 October 2019


Hello all,

The above arrangement was done using strelitzia nicolai after all the petals had died and left this very strong and sculptural material. It took some doing to secure them in that position as they are very heavy and have a very short stem.

Below is a photograph of my poor, long suffering husband, Sam trying to cut the strelitzias through the upstairs bathroom window. The plant is more than two stories high and the flowers are always towards the top. I had removed the fly wire screen from the bathroom window, unscrewed the sash window winder and removed it in order to open the window fully. Then Sam tried using the extendable cutter to get the flowers. Alas, it din't work and all our efforts were for naught. We reverted to using the ladder and, with great effort on Sam's part, we got the flower. The things we do!


For last lesson I had set a combined theme for the senior students 'Seasonal Materials' and 'A Variety of Materials'. This is a difficult exercise but the students rose to the challenge. I, too made an arrangement using seven spring materials but forgot to photograph it.

Bredenia used white japonica, lilac and karume azalia
Nicole used wisteria, azalea, apple blossoms, Japanese iris and blue bells
Jenny used wisteria, jasmine, daisies, Japanese maple and cherry blossoms

Shaneen's lesson was 'Intertwining Plant Materials'.

Shaneen used bamboo, grasses, an almost black tulip
called "Queen of the Night' and arum lily leaves
I've been enjoying all the wonderful spring material in my garden but my favourite one is this white flag iris, which has produced four gorgeous stems. There are very specific rules for arranging iris which requires many leaves but I'm reluctant to cut too many because it will weaken the rhizome. So I cut one or two per plant. Every time I make this arrangement I remember Teresa Faile, who has, sadly passed away and who demonstrated this method for us every spring.


This is he front view
And this is the side view, showing how the leaves and flowers
are arranged

























More beautiful spring material. Viburnum opulus and clivias

Bye for now,
Emily






1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for Ikebana Husbands:) I enjoyed the photo and story behind that strelitzia.

    ReplyDelete