Monday 18 March 2019


Hello all,

You may have noticed that this post is one week early. There's a good reason for that. I will be so busy next week that I will not have time for the blog. Some of you will already know that The Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show (MIFGS) will be on from Wednesday 27th March until Sunday 31st March.  As with previous years, I will be taking part in the Baptcare Shop Window Competition. We have three days for setting up before the opening. On Sunday, the last day, at 11.30 there will be Ikebana demonstrations on the main stage by members of Ikebana International. I will be the Sogetsu demonstrator.

Ikebana will be very well represented in the Great Hall this year because the Iemoto (Head of School) of the Ichio School, Naohiro Kasuya, will be here to produce a very large display, with the assistance of II members.

Last week the Ikebana International Melbourne Chapter celebrated its 60th Anniversary. The meeting was well attended and the delicious fruit cake made by Marj Campkin-Smith was enjoyed by all, especially me!

I was particularly happy and grateful at that meeting because I was the first winner of the raffle making me the owner of the beautiful vase, above. It was a very generous donation by Joshua Longmore from Made In Japan.

Like a child with a new toy, I couldn't wait to come home and 'play' with it. The curved agapanthus stems suited the shape of the container and the yellowing seed head picked up the colour of the rim of the container. The unobstructed, clear view of the water was particularly pleasing to me.



For the meeting, my arrangement, above, began with the crucifix orchids, which were the only undamaged flowers in my garden. Their very thin stems meant that I could use them in this vase, which has a very small opening. I then looked around for accompanying material, settling on the spent sunflowers and taro leaves. For more photographs of the members' arrangements, click on II Melbourne.

At our last class I had set the theme 'Composition Expressing a Movement'.

Lucy's arrangement viewed from above - 'Swirling'. She used weeping willow
Nicole went with 'Leaning'. She used agapanthus and Belladonna lilies
Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show how far the agapanthus are leaning forward
Vicky depicted 'Wrestling'. She used red geraniums to represent blood on the
very aggressive looking agave
I, also, used agave but in a very different way with one garlic flower.
My movement is 'Poking' 

Shaneen's arrangement addresses the theme "Curved and
Straight Lines.She used umbrella grass stems, flax and sedum
As I was looking through the agapanthus bed for materials, I came across two interestingly bent stems. Now, I often create the curves myself but in this case nature gets all the credit. As I held them and looked at them, the arrangement came to life. So, when putting them in this self-made container, I took some pains to make sure that the stems rose from the middle of the vase and did not lean against the edge. I was happy with the result. Later, as I walked passed it a few times, it seemed a tad too simple. I looked around for something suitable to add and found this old wisteria vine that was sprayed black. Personally, I still prefer the first version. You can decide which you like better.



Bye for now and, maybe, I'll see you at the Show,
Emily
























1 comment:

  1. I like what you did with the vase you won at the raffle. I remember reading an older post where you wrote about working on contorting the stems of agapanthus you were growing in your garden. It looks as if you were successful. The curving lines are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete