Sunday 9 September 2018


Hello all,

The picture, above, is of Ramada Eco Beach Resort in Western Australia, where Sam and I, together with Vicky and Peter went for some much needed rest and relaxation. It is 130 k south of Broome with views of the Indian Ocean. The attraction for us was its remoteness - there were times we were the only people on the beach.

The resort is set amongst the pristine Kimberley environment with board walks between the villas to protect the
vegetation, which grows on what appears to be pure sand. I managed to photograph a couple of the ones that interested me most.

Green birdflower (Crotalaria cunninghamii) The sap from the leaves was used by
Aboriginal people to treat eye  infections
The seed pods of the same plant. They look a lot like peas. When I split one, it had
tiny seeds inside.



This straggly looking shrub is a Bauhinia cunninghamii, which produces
clusters of red flowers
Close-up of the flowers, which attract honey eaters

The photograph, above, is of the the beach at low tide, with Vicky in the foreground and me behind.

Unfortunately, 2 seconds after this picture was taken, I slipped as I was getting off the rock I was standing on and fell, causing quite a few injuries. This is when the remoteness of a location can be a disadvantage because I needed to get to a hospital quickly, as I had head injuries among others. The Flying Doctors Service was considered but could not be used because the runway at the resort has no lights and it was getting close to dusk. Long-story-short - We waited 2.5 hours for an ambulance to arrive, which then took 1.5 hours to get me and Sam to the Broome hospital. There, I was seen, my head was bandaged and was told to return the next day for X-rays because the radiologists don't work after 5.00 pm. And, no, the hospital does not have an MRI machine. This was a salient reminder of the things we take for granted living in a metropolis.

After five days in Broome with visits to the hospital and little else, we left for home via Perth, where we spent a night and a day. Here, things looked up a little - the Westin Hotel we stayed in is brand new, beautifully appointed and full of art works by various Australian artists. Also, it happened to be at the time that the Kings Park Festival was on and I was not going to miss it. So, drugged up to the hilt with pain killers, I set out with my poor, long suffering husband to visit the park. And we were so glad we did. It was a gloriously sunny, spring day with many activities and things to see.

One great attraction is the giant Boab 'Gija Jumulu', which had to be removed from its original position in Warmun due to works on the Great Northern Highway and was transported to Kings Park, 3,200 kilometres way. The tree is estimated to be 750 years old, weighs 36 tonnes and stretches 14 metres high.

The first photograph is of the tree in its original position and the second of its new position in the park.




Western Australia has the world's largest collection of wild flowers but, to see them, one has to travel great distances. However, there are some stunning, albeit smaller, plantings around Kings Park and Botanic Gardens.

Pink paper daisies making quite a show when mass planted

Below are photos of just a few of the colourful costumes and characters wondering around the park and entertaining young and old.


This 'Kangaroo Paw' was my favourite
As this is an Ikebana blog, I should include at least one arrangement. I have my friend Olga to thank for this wall arrangement because she pruned her Siberian dogwood and rang to tell me I could have the cuttings. Bless her!

Siberian dogwood, clivias and alstroemeria psittacina leaves
As for my health, I should be right in a few weeks. In the mean time, I'm told I have to be very careful and patient. I will try!

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment