|This photograph was taken with my phone through the bus window, so the quality is|
poor. You can find much better on the internet.
|This photograph is from a great distance of the light installation in the foreground|
and Uluru in the background
Again, I don't want to turn this into a travelogue, so I leave it to those of you who are interested to find out more about this place. I can honestly say that it is well worth the effort and cost involved to get there. The only down side, for me, was the heat - high thirties every day. Perhaps we should have gone in winter.
One more thing, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of vegetation in the desert. I did not expect to see so many trees and bushes that have evolved in this very harsh environment but, we were told, that there have been unusually good rains in the last 18 months. There were even lawn areas around the resort we stayed in.
Among the many fascinating plants, this Grevillea Bush Lemons was the first plant to catch my eye as we drove into the resort. From a distance it looks like little parrots sitting on the tips of branches. We were told that the flowers have nectar which the Aborigines suck without removing the flowers from the bush. They also use the nectar to mix with water to make a sweet drink.
Oh, and I had to include this iconic Sturt's Desert Pea (Swainsona formosa), a favourite of mine.
And now back to ikebana.
At our last Ikebana International meeting, our guest speaker was Dr Peter Haeusler, an expert on clivias, whose talk on the subject was most informative.
I volunteered to do the demonstration using clivias. Unfortunately, I had no actual flowers in my garden though I had plenty of buds and leaves. Under the circumstances, I decided I would do something creative with the leaves. This proved to be more difficult than I imagined. The leaves are not very versatile, as they snap when bent near the base. They don't split very well and have the tendency to look quite boring when used naturalistically. I did, however, discover that they can last, very well, without water for at least two weeks.
Below are the photographs of my two attempts.
|I used the split in the container to wedge the leaves|
creating the curves. The flowers are not going
sideways but coming forward
|This was a little bit of fun. I twisted the leaves together|
and pushed them into each 'cone' of the container
and added one berry
For more photographs from our meeting, please go to melbourneikebana.blogspot.com.au
Vicky recently pruned her kiwi vine and kindly offered some cuttings to me. So I went to town with them -
|Original wall arrangement with calla lilies and|
|After the lilies died I replaced them with a|
cymbidium orchid stem and flowering broom
|The original arrangement in a container I made myself. I used|
monstera deliciosa flowers with the kiwi vine
|And after the monstera flowers died I replaced them with two|
cymbidium orchid stems. If you look closely, you'll see that
there are leaves growing on the vine.
'Arrangements on the Table':
|Vicky used clivias, alstroemeria leaves and wisteria vine in this very shiny|
stainless steel container
|Bredenia used Bird's nest fern and clivias|
|I used only calla lilies in another self made container|
I think this is probably enough.
Bye for now,