Monday 3 June 2024

EXHIBITION ARRANGEMENTS #2

 


Hello all,

I'm continuing the photographic journey of our exhibition.

Above is a photograph of one of my arrangements, which had an interesting start. My student, Shaneen, arrived to class one day clutching a giant fan, asking if I might have some use for it. The front of the fan is quite elaborately painted in a floral design but the reverse was quite plain. I took it and left it, folded up, in the studio for some time. When preparing for the exhibition I wanted to challenge myself to find a way to use it. 

After spraying the reverse in old gold, I visualized some botanical materials crossing the fan diagonally. The two New Zealand flax flower stems were more than two metres in length and fitted the bill perfectly. I also used flax leaves and papyrus, which was another contribution by Shaneen.

Lucy's freestyle arrangement, below, was made using two agave 'leaves' and anthuriums in a ceramic container.


Dianne's theme was a freestyle Ka-bu-wa-ke, in which two or more kenzans are used in a suiban. Apart from a harmonious combination of materials, the focus is on the space between the 'kabu' or groups.


Vicky's 'Simple Arrangement' was made using two vases, a piece of contorted hazel (Corylus avellana contorta) and an anthurium. The arrangement was placed in a freestanding, glass cabinet.


Lei's miniature arrangements were placed in a glass cabinet and were an absolute delight.



My next arrangement was, also, in a large, glass cabinet. The resin container is quite large and the tarnish on the copper pipes reflects the colour of the container. I used birds nest fern (Asplenium nidus), variegated New Zealand flax and three orange coloured gladiolas. Unfortunately, this photo was taken before the gladiolas opened.

Shaneen's theme was Dried, Bleached or Coloured Materials. She used a dried palm spathe, two ornamental kale flowers and salvias in a ceramic suiban.


Cym's arrangement was in one of two wall glass cabinets. These cabinets are quite large but not deep, necessitating a rather flat arrangement. Cym used two large bamboo poles, strelitzia nicolai leaves, strelitzia reginae flowers and two different coloured, kangaroo paws in a large, ceramic container.


My next piece is a contemporary freestyle arrangement. I used two large, truck exhaust pipes, into which I placed palm inflorescence which I coloured orange. 



I'll have more exhibition pictures for you next week.

Bye for now,
Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment