Monday 11 September 2023

MASTERCLASS #18


Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to apprise you of an of exhibition coming up. Our Ikebana International group is exhibiting Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th September at Labassa Mansion, 2 Manor Grove, Caulfield North.

1) Saturday 16th September 

Session 1 - 10:00 am to 1:00 pm with a demo by Lucy Papas at 11:00 am 

Session 21:00 pm  to 4:00 pm with a demo by Lucy Papas at 2:00 pm

You and your family/friends can book tickets online. Ticket includes a demonstration. Select 'Ikebana members' when you purchase a discounted 

ticket via the link below.

 Admission:

 $15 for I.I. members 

 $26.84 for non-I.I. members

 $26.84 Bundle Ticket for I.I. members

 https://www.eventbrite.com/e/labassa-ikebana-demonstrations-2023-tickets-686339468827?aff=odcleoeventsincollection&keep_tld=1

 2) Sunday 17th September 10:30 am - 4:00 pm

You and your family/friends can book tickets online. Please select 'Ikebana members' when you purchase a discounted ticket via the link below.

  Admission:

  $10 for I.I. members 

   $15 for non-I.I. members 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/labassa-ikebana-open-day-2023-tickets-687040545767?aff=odcleoeventsincollection&keep_tld=1

Please note that our Lucy will be the demonstrator and I will assist her. I hope to see you there.

At Saturday's Masterclass I had provided all of us with large branches of silver birch. It was a lucky find after some trees had been pruned and the branches were to be mulched.

I set the exercise from Book 5 - 'Composition with branches - A Two Step Approach'. In this exercise we first create a free standing structure using cut branches. We, then, use the structure with a container and fresh materials to complete the composition. We use various methods of fixing, such as nails, screws and wire. I demonstrated for the students how to make angles by cutting the thicker parts of the branches diagonally and then rejoining them.

Once the structures were completed and critiqued, I instructed the students to select a container from the shelves and then go into the garden and cut whatever they wanted to complete their composition.

Below is my free standing structure and above is the completed arrangement. The large, ceramic container is doughnut shaped but I chose to use it sideways for this application.


Cym's free standing structure.


And the final piece

Lei's structure



And her final piece

Jenny's structure


And her finished piece



Vicky chose to keep her long branches uncut and, instead, incorporated the finer, pendulous stems of the birch by intertwining them.




And with the addition of a ceramic container and arum lilies.


Bye for now,
Emily








No comments:

Post a Comment