Monday 31 October 2022

31st October, 2022


Hello all,

My clematis was particularly prolific this year, despite the constant, relentless rain and I was able to cut enough flowers to make the arrangement, above. I've reached a point, after so many years of practice, where I make my arrangements instinctively, without thinking about a particular theme, unless it is for a class lesson. However, after completing a piece, I sometimes think about which theme it falls under. In this case, 'Using Only One Kind of Material', 'Wall Arrangement', 'To be Viewed from Below' and 'Colour of the Container'. Although, in the photograph, the mauve tones of the container are not visible.

The rain has done a great deal of damage to much of our spring flowering plants but it seems churlish to complain when people across the country are suffering floods and losses beyond measure. Our thoughts are with them.

The rain was, also, responsible for the sight, below.  One could be forgiven for thinking it had snowed all over my compost bins. In fact, they are the flowers of my snow ball tree (Viburnum Opulus), whose branches hang over the bins.


On Saturday our group had the pleasure of a Guest presenter, Yoshiro Umemura (Yosh) to run a day of workshops. Yosh, who is based in Sydney, has been coming almost every year and we've become quite fond of him. More importantly, we always learn something new at his workshops.

The two themes that were selected were 'Basic Upright Nageire' and 'In a Suiban Without a Kenzan'. No matter our level of expertise, I believe it is necessary, periodically, to go back to basics. 

My arrangement, below, is 'In a Suiban Without a Kenzan'. I used large branches of Portugal Laurel (prunus lusitanica) with flower spikes in bud. I photographed it when I brought it home and, with the luxury of more time, I refined it a little and added a third strelitzia.


Here's a material that is too tough to be affected by rain. It is the Soap Aloe (Aloe Maculata). These particular plants are growing on an embankment, making it a little difficult to access but we, ikebanists, are not easily deterred. 


At our last class Wendy's lesson was 'Using two or more Containers'. She used salvias, viburnum opulus and azaleas in a mauve coloured, glass bowl and vase.


Lei's lesson was 'Both Fresh and Unconventional Materials'. She scrunched up some lamp shade material and added fresh, green,plant materials in a large, split continer.



Shaneen, who has just started book 5, made a 'Seasonal Arrangement'. She used a number of spring  materials from her impressive garden.


I leave you with this next arrangement, featuring my one and only peony flower. I have a number of plants, stubbornly refusing to flower, except for this tree peony, which produced one flower. Cause for celebration!


Bye for now,
Emily









No comments:

Post a Comment