Monday 25 July 2022

Simplified Arrangements

 


Hello all,

For last week's class I set the theme for the advanced students of 'A  Simplified Arrangement'. This exercise is a lot more nuanced than it, at first, appears. The aim is to trim the material that's being used to the point that only the bare elements are left, necessary for the material to be recognisable. 

The tomarilo branch below, was my starting point for the arrangement, above. I removed everything except one fruit and one leaf. The choice of container is also very important, as it is another element of the arrangement. This, wine coloured glass vase seemed ideal.


I made a second such arrangement, below. This time I had a very large fern frond, which I trimmed down to approximately one twentieth of the original size of the frond. I used with it a long stemmed crucifix orchid in a small ceramic container.

I'd like to point out that there is a subtle difference between a 'Simple' and a 'Simplified' arrangement. A 'Simplified' arrangement is created by the arranger by simplifying the material, as I explained, above. A 'simple' arrangement can be made with any material and may require little intervention. The example below is of a simple arrangement. I found the aeonium broken and fallen on the ground. I did nothing to it except work out the mechanics needed for it to sit on the container. And, just to put you minds at ease, there are roots where the stem was resting on the ground, which are now in the container. I used wire to secure it in place.

After a discussion in class and my explanation of the theme, the students had to rethink what they had planned to make and in the process made some really beautiful work.

Jenny used a single, yellow banksia, on the stem of which she left only one leaf. The matching, ceramic container was an appropriate choice.


Vicky used a single anthurium and a single stem of Siberian dogwood in a slate container made by her clever husband, Peter.


Lucy used a strelitzia reginae leaf, which she stripped back leaving a small portion at the centre of the leaf and placed a single camellia to the back, peaking over the top.


Nicole used an interestingly shaped stem of nandina domestica with only one leaf left on it and a small jonquil, from which she removed all but one of the individual flowers. She, also, chose her container well.


Bredenia chose to make a freestyle arrangement, as she wanted to use her cymbidium orchids. Vicky had brought some kiwi vine for everyone, which came in very handy for Bredenia. She used a strong, ceramic container.


Mary's revision theme was 'A Horizontal Arrangement'. She used rhododendron branches and hellebores flowers in a ceramic vase.


In my 11th July post I spoke of the workshops which were run by Vernisher Woo. The photos from that workshop are now on our website, posted by our indefatigable director, Christopher James. Please click on the link to view.

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment