Monday 30 August 2021

30th August, 2021

 


Hello all,

Last week our Sogetsu group was scheduled to have a workshop, which I was going to lead. It had, already, been postponed once and this time it was cancelled. I suggested to our director, Christopher, that we should go ahead with it anyway but on line. I sent him four photographs of examples of the double theme I had chosen, together with some explanatory notes and suggestions. He, then, sent them to the members and asked them to make their own arrangements and send photos back to him, which he subsequently put on our website. I was deghted that  many members did just that. https://sogetsuikebanavic.weebly.com/recent-workshops

The photograph, above, is one of my examples. Please click on the link to see the rest as well as the contributions from the members and an explanation of the double theme.

I recently bought a used container that is shaped like a large shell. And, like a kid with a new toy, I had to use it straight away. I've been looking for an opportunity to use my weeping willow as it is at its absolute best at the moment. It's bringing out its leaves, which are still very small and sparse. It looks like it's wearing a green veil. I like to use it in a pond-like arrangement. The container has two chambers, replicating the shell - a small one at the back and larger one in front. I used mostly the back chamber for the materials, leaving the larger one with mainly water. I kept the willow stems long as it was destined to sit on a pedestal and hang over the front. It's hard to see all the materials in the photo but I used willow, narcissus, tulips, freesias, cottage gladili and spiria.



A close up of the interior of the container.

This variegated camellia, below, had a branch extending outwards over the path leading to Sam's office and I had the choice of tying it back or cutting it. So cut it I did! I had noticed earlier that the elms have started flowering, so putting the two together seemed appropriate. The glass vases remind me of my teacher, Carlyne Patterson. It was decades ago when we found these bottle-shaped vases selling very cheaply and we all bought up big. Again, it's hard to tell from the photo but the camellia branch is in the white vase, sweeping forward in font of the grey vase and the elm branches are in the grey.


I found that a number of arum lilies I had bent whilst in bud, were now fully opened and, if I didn't use them soon they would be past their best. So I played. 

I should explain, before anyone writes to tell me my arum lily in the blue container is out of water, that it is not. It's just an illusion. The flower stem is in a kenzan inside the container and the curved stem is sitting outside but can survive quite well without water because I sealed both ends with melted wax.



The stachyurus with its jewel like flowers on pendant racemes is quite lovely but rather difficult to use. The racemes must be draping downwards when placed in an arrangement but the stems don't always allow for that. Very careful selection of the branches when cutting them is necessary for a successful arrangement.


And, as I mentioned last week, sometimes a flower just needs a vase and water. Nature has done the rest. This rhododendron was a gift from mum and dad when we first moved into the house and, therefore, much prized.


Bye for now,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment