Wednesday 10 April 2019





Hello all,

'Miniature Ikebana' was the theme of our recent Sogetsu workshop run by Helen Quarrell. This theme has been recently introduced into the curriculum, officially, even though it had been introduced by Kasumi Teshigahara, the second Iemoto, a long time ago. It is a very enjoyable exercise, which appeals to most people. My mother, who has lived with me for more than a decade and has seen countless ikebana arrangements in my home, has never commented on any of them. But when I make miniatures she is absolutely delighted. Please go to Sogetsu Ikebana Victoria and click on 'Recent Workshops' for more members' photographs.

The theme for last week's class was 'Glass Containers'. In this exercise the transparency of glass is an important feature. The materials can be displayed inside, outside or both in and out of the container. I've done this exercise many times before, including very recently when I demonstrated at MIFGS (arrangement to the left). So, I decided to work with this beautiful and colourful but rather difficult glass vase. It is difficult because there is enough detail inside the vase itself, that adding materials to it would be unattractive and messy. The challenge was to place materials in such a way that the stems would NOT be seen through the glass and to allow the colouful swirl to feature.




Persimmons and clivia berries



















Vicky re-used the agave from a previous
lesson and nandina domestica nana
Lucy used umbrella grass stems and crab apples

























Nicole used weeping willow and eucalyptus leaf and one aster flower
Bredenia used 1 gymea leaf and
purple flowers



























At yesterday's Ikebana International meeting we enjoyed a demonstration in a basket by Aiko Nakada, head of Ohara School Melbourne. Sadly this was Aiko-san's last demonstration as she is leaving us to return to Japan. We will miss her!

Many beautiful arrangements in equally beautiful baskets were made by members and, I'm sure, Christopher will post photographs on the II blog in due course. Please go to II Melbourne.

Usually baskets are light and require light materials to make a successful arrangement. Being very short of time, I was unable to find enough light materials to use in a conventional basket, so I chose to go a different way. I used the woven box with lid, below, with amaranthus, dahlias and crab apples.


I leave you with this last arrangement, for which I re-used two bromeliads from my exhibit at MIFGS. I couldn't bear to throw them away, thus the creation of the arrangement, below. It is interesting to note that despite the fact that the bromeliads do not reach the water, they look fresh and vibrant.


Bye for now,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment