Tuesday 1 January 2019

The lilies were a Christmas offering from my sister-in-law, Betty The branch is sprayed
silver


Hello and a very happy and safe New Year to you all!

Unfortunately, I started the day (and the year) with a very unladylike expletive when I lifted my head off the pillow and my nose started dripping like a tap with a bad washer. It appears I have succumbed to whatever bug has been going through the family and had landed my mother in hospital. Definitely not the best way to start the year.

On a brighter note, Christmas was a big production but quite successful, judging by the feedback we got. The weather was perfect, huge quantities of food was prepared, consumed and left overs taken away in plastic containers. The traditional lamb on the spit was delicious and the drinks ran freely. There was, also, the traditional cricket game on the lawn. Even I was dragged into batting. Apparently, I did not disgrace myself too much because, according to my grandson, I was not as bad as he thought I would be.

This view is from the balcony, where the less energetic of us sat and watched the game below
and cheered.
The shade of the trees at the top of the garden was a popular spot for some

Memo and Peter - Masterchefs in action

A week before Christmas Sam and I took the two older grandchildren to a Christmas tree farm to select and cut our own tree. It was quite a distance to travel (close to an hour) and we had to take two cars - one for the children in their car seats and one to bring back the tree. It was a very well organised operation at the Dandenong Christmas Tree Farm. Once chosen, the tree would be cut and an optional cover, much like a stocking, was put over the tree to make it easier and cleaner to transport. They even had a Santa on a sleigh for the little ones. It was an experience enjoyed by all and we will be doing it again. There's nothing like the smell of pine in the house to feel like Christmas.

Poor Santa, he was sweltering in his suit on that hot Summer's day


Xavier and Hermione with the 'tree cutter' and his pole to
measure the height of each tree. We chose the one in the
photo - 8'
The four of them in front of the decorated tree.
Granddaughter No.1 was not in the Christmas spirit!




























Today we spent the afternoon at Lucy's where we cut the traditional 'Vassilopita', Greek New Year's cake, which has a coin in it. The lucky person to get the coin is supposed to have good luck all year long.

I came home feeling quite ordinary and wanting nothing more than to lie down. But I couldn't give into it and, instead, went for a stroll around the garden. I found materials and inspiration for ikebana and got stuck into it. An hour later, I was feeling better psychologically, if not physically, and I had three new arrangements.

The agapanthus are putting on their usual show and the creamy white calla lilies teamed well with them. I found an old kiwi vine in the store room to complete the arrangement.


The calla lilies are quite lovely and their speckled leaves are very attractive in the garden. The colour of the flowers starts off creamy white and gradually changes to green on the outside with a yellow centre. But, also, they produce some strange mutations, both in the flowers and the leaves. The arrangement, below, is a case in point.


As I was watering this morning I was delighted to see that the crocosmia that have naturalized in the front rockery, are full of flower stems in bud. I noticed one with an interesting curve and had to cut and use it. I curled its leaves and added the garlic flower, which, also, has an interesting curve.


Here's to a happy 2019!

Bye for now,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment